ALA POST-GRADUATE 2020 BREAKFAST SYMPOSIUM
Thursday, April 23, 2020, 6:00 AM
2020 Speaker: Marshall E. Smith, MD
Dr. Smith is a professor of Laryngology and Pediatric Otolaryngology in the Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Utah. He is an NIH funded investigator and participates in research on various voice and airway disorders, currently an investigator or co-investigator on eight funded projects. He is medical director of the Voice Disorders Center, co-director of the Airway Disorders Center at the University Hospital, and a member of the Esophageal-Airway Team at Primary Children’s Hospital.
Topic: “Developing a New Laryngology Skill Set: Bilateral and Unilateral Reinnervation”
Fee: None (RSVP Required)
We ask that you RSVP to Maxine at email@example.com by April 3rd so we may ensure a hearty continental breakfast for all, sponsored by the Sustainers Fund.
Additional information may be found in the 2020 Winter Newsletter.
POST-GRADUATE MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
Proposal: The post-graduate membership committee proposes annually a specific post-grad membership event that is integrated into the ALA/COSM meeting.
Advisors to post graduate membership committee: Dr. Michael M. Johns III and Dr. Lee Akst.
Goals for the Post-Graduate Member Committee:
- Foster young physicians in making further advancements in the field of laryngology.
- Encourage a sense of fellowship among the post-grad members
- Develop momentum towards full membership into the ALA
- Encourage maintenance of an elevated level of clinical and scholarly achievement in Laryngology.
- Give practical information to newly trained Laryngologists toward robust clinical and scientific practice
Post-graduate members of the ALA have several opportunities to participate in various initiatives this year. If you’re interested in any of the following, please reach out to the appropriate member of the Post-Grad Member Committee. Some things for you to consider:
- Post-grad / Active member mentorship match – Post-grad members who have been paired with mentors have found this a valuable source of career advice. If interested in this, please e-mail Melin Tan-Geller (MTan-Geller@entandallergy.com)
- Peer group pairing mentoring –There are a handful of these groups now, as post-grad members can be a wealth of advice for one another. If you’re interested in joining one of these groups, please e-mail Kimberly Vinson (Kimberly.firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Breakfast symposium – Planning is underway for COSM, and we’re always looking for more ideas. If you have any suggestions for topics, please e-mail Melin Tan-Geller (MTanGeller@entandallergy.com)
- Educational content and materials – With the strong support and guidance of the ALA Council and ALA Educational Advisory Committee (EAC), we’re going to refresh and create educational content (Laryngology Curriculum) as well as patient education materials (Voice Problems) for the ALA website. If we expecting full participation by the PG Members towards this common goal. If interested in writing for this project, please e-mail Lee Akst (LAKST1@jhmi.edu), Jonathan Bock (email@example.com), Dinesh Chhetri (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Michael Johns (Michael.Johns@med.usc.edu).